March 2, 2009

Anniversary


18 years ago yesterday, a little scared, nervous, but very happy couple went to LDS Family Services to meet our 1 1/2 day old daughter. We had only 1 week to prepare for her arrival. We were so happy, and yet nervous at the propects of becoming parents. We waited exactly 9 months to the day from the time we put our adoption papers in to pick up Whitney. We were told it would 18 -24 months before we could expect a baby. I was still working full-time when Whitney was born, and we didn't think we could afford to have me quit.

The first time I held her was surreal. We had wanted a child for 6 1/2 years. I was really holding my daughter. She was so precious and tiny. We both just couldn't take our eyes off her, and were so excited to finally be parents and be able to take her home. We had to change her into the outfit we brought, the mother instincts kicked in as I changed her diaper, put her in a pretty pink dress and feed her a bottle.

Fast forward 18 years and wonder where the time went. But I still hold close the memories of the day we picked her up, how tiny and precious she was. But mostly I can't think of that time without remembering her birth mom and what a precious gift she gave us. I am grateful to her everyday for giving us our Whitney
.

No comments: